I lived overseas for the better part of 18 years and returned to the States with my family in 2002. We had lived and served in ministry and education in the wonderful city of Nazareth, located in the Galilee region of Israel. Though I had lived in other cities in Israel--Haifa, Jerusalem, Netanya and Beersheva, Nazareth was our hometown. Our kids were born there and we lived in the same house surrounded by the very best of neighbors for 12 years. Then one day, we decided, after having been guests in that country for many years, it was time to take our little family and head back to our home country.
As a native to Pennsylvania, I always thought we'd just move there. We married in Philadelphia and though Ben was from California and we visited there, this East Coast girl needed to not only be close to family but also to the changing seasons.
So with a little help from our then 12 year old daughter, Laura, we ventured into Delaware. We had to drive through each time we went to look at houses in PA. We were staying with my parents in Salisbury, MD and wanted to find something further north so decided it was worth checking out and I'm so glad we did. We found a wonderful home in New Castle and enjoyed living there for over a decade.
I have to chuckle when I recall the reaction of those who would hear our story of living overseas and returning home to America and then would say, "Why Delaware and Why New Castle?"
So as we come to closer to our 12th anniversary of stateside life, I got thinking about "Why Delaware?" and here are a just few things that I came up with...
- Everyone knows everyone
- From Wilmington, you can be to the beach or the mountains in 2 hours
- Tax Free Shopping
- A wonderful place to do business
- Gorgeous parks and surroundings
- Creativity, community, collaboration
- My mother was born here and now here I am
- Our business is located in downtown Wilmington and I love coming into the city everyday
- Lifelong relationships have been formed here
- I finally feel at home in my own country because of the people in this amazing, little, wonderful state--which is really the treasure of Delaware
I recall a time when I was in the third grade, I went to the library and took out this little book and it was all about the state of Delaware. Little did I know then that it was just a breadcrumb on the trail that would finally lead me home.